Habitat Update: February 17, 2013
We have two more build dates–one in March and one in April. The houses are progressing nicely and pictures from previous build dates can be viewed from the Incarnation Photo page. Habitat’s portion of the Sunrise trailor-to-houses is expected to be finished by May.
Our next build day is Saturday, Mar 16. This build data is full but there are some spots open for April. Check the sign-up sheets in the Narthex or better yet, sign-up online to offer time to build, paint, saw, prepare lunches, take photos, and a number of other things that will be needed to “raise the roof!” We are excited about this community endeavor and hope you are too. See the table at the bottom of this page for open worker slots for the 2013 build dates.
Incarnation Habitat Online Sign-Up (Check the table at the bottom of this page for current open worker slots)
Habitat purchased Sunrise Trailer Court, a 16-unit trailer park in the Belmont-Carlton neighborhood in Charlottesville in 2004. At the time of the purchase, Habitat made a promise to residents living there that after redevelopment, they could stay either as Habitat Partner Families or in affordable rentals.
Of the original 16 families, nine have elected to stay. These long-time Sunrise residents will form the nucleus of the new mixed-income, multi-generational community. Site work began in the fall of 2010, and building started in March 2011. Habitat is currently working on duplex houses and two condominium/apartment buildings.
When finished in 2013, Sunrise Park will have nine affordable rentals, 20 new Habitat Partner Family homes, and 30 market-rate units, as well as community and commercial space. Sunrise Park is the first mobile home park in the country to be redeveloped without resident displacement.
Proposed Build Dates / Online Sign-Up
Our proposed build dates are below. We need a total of 15 workers for each of our build dates. This total includes both skilled and unskilled workers. Currently, we are signing up only for those dates in bold. To sign up for a given date, click on this Incarnation Habitat Online Sign-Up link and fill out/submit the form. See the table at the bottom of this page for open worker slots.
Mar 16 | Apr 20
Description of Duties
Builders. These volunteers are both willing and able, but may not have any construction experience/skills. Habitat has built many houses with willing volunteers, some of whom had never touched a hammer before. See below for the types of tasks and the age requirements.
- Helps with framing, painting, drywall, siding, finish work, site cleanup, landscaping, or any other needed tasks (dependent each build day on progress of the house)
- Works rain, snow, or shine (with the exception of severe weather)
- Must be at least 16 to be present on the construction site but may not use power tools and may not work more than six feet off of the ground. A parent must sign a minor liability waiver
- Must be at least 18 to participate in unrestricted construction on the site
Sponsor Lunch Coordinator. A person or committee from each sponsoring group will be responsible for coordinating the lunches for each workday for your volunteers on site.
- Coordinates lunches to be served to volunteers, staff, and partner families, approximately 25 people (Lunch can be donated by a restaurant or prepared by you or a team of people)
- Sets up for lunch, oversees meal, and cleans up afterward
- Ideal for a group of people or for several families
Photographer. You may use your own camera or borrow the camera from the parish office.
- Spends time on the site to take pictures and record the great work being done
- Helps to track the progress of our sponsored house in photos
- Emails the photos to the Coordinator of Justice and Charity for posting for our parish community to see
Overall Day Coordinator. Volunteers from the sponsoring group take turns on-site to make sure things go smoothly. The Habitat Volunteer Coordinator will give the on-site volunteer coordinator all the information required to become familiar with what should be expected at the job site. The on-site volunteer coordinator then ensures that every volunteer signs the construction sign-in and emergency contact sheet as well as a liability form before picking up a hammer, gets a name tag and back, and knows the location for the tools, restroom, and first-aid kit.
- Serves as the onsite team coordinator
- Relays the information from the Habitat staff to the day’s builders
- Ensures that volunteers sign in at the construction site and complete the emergency contact sheets
- Arrives approximately 30 minutes early on the day of the building
- Remains on-site for the entire work shift
- Assists with recruiting a few extra hands if we are short on builders one week
Sample Build Day Schedule (8:45am – 3:30pm)
- 8:45 Volunteer sign-in and orientation / Break into construction teams
- 9:00 Instruction
- 9:15 Construction work
- 12:00 Lunch
- 12:30 Construction work
- 3:00 Finish construction work and clean up
- 3:30 End of day
Habitat strongly encourages you to sign up for the build days when you can be present the whole day. The crew can achieve maximum efficiency on the job site when everyone arrives at the same time in the morning to break into groups and receive instruction regarding the tasks at hand. It’s also best for you because you’ll be there for project orientation and instruction, as well as put your newly-acquired skills to use and feel productive after you learn them.
If you absolutely can’t come for the entire shift, please plan to arrive or leave during the scheduled lunch break. Please notify the Overall Day Coordinator if you don’t plan to work the usual shift.
Current Sign-Ups (Updated February 10, 2013)List of workers who have signed up for the 2013 build dates
|Job Description||Feb 16, 2013||Mar 16, 2013||Apr 20, 2013|
|Day Coordinator||Chip Grobmyer||Gene Heuschel||Mark Niehaus|
|Lunch Coordinator||Jude Campbell||Lianne Spring||Mary Helen Hintz|
|1 Worker||Lucy Aslett||Gary Owens||Gary Owens|
|2 Worker||Mary Ellen Bambrick||Dan Brown||Mary Beth Slagle|
|3 Worker||Jerry Bambrick||Felix Podraza||Tim Slagle|
|4 Worker||Eric Loth||Kent Struble||Valeria Niehaus|
|5 Worker||Steve Brown||Liz Schneiders||Tom Hintz|
|6 Worker||Tom Eckman||Craig Schneiders||Steve Brown|
|7 Worker||Paul Urmanski||Mary Bettner||Debbie Rondeau|
|8 Worker||Donna Bossardt||Suzanne Matriccino||Dianne Gagliano|
|9 Worker||Fred Bossadt||Dianne Gagliano||Chuck Gagliano|
|10 Worker||Linda Schmelter||Chuck Gagliano||Sue Dougherty|
|11 Worker||Joel Nuckols||Kati Djelhiyanot||Deb Short|
|12 Worker||Becky Nuckols||Will Djelhiyanot||Tim Short|
|13 Worker||Rob Michel||Rob Michel||Patrick Paczkowski|
|14 Worker||Joey Michel||Kristen Shafe|
|15 Worker||Larry Morgan||Beth Shafe|
|16 Worker||xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx||Kerry Shafe||xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|
|17 Worker||xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx||Kyle Shafe||xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|